Cool Facts About Honey

honey facts header

Ever wondered what’s really in that sweet stuff you spread on your toast in the morning? Honey is one of the most interesting foods in the world, with many mysterious properties and multiple uses!

1. To produce 1lb of honey, bees must collect nectar from around 2 million flowers!

To get this amount of nectar, they have to travel on average around 55,000 miles, which is a lifetime’s work for 800 bees.

2. Bees are the ultimate girl power species.

99% of a bee colony is made up of female worker bees, whilst the other 1% is made up of male ‘drones’, whose only purpose is the mate with the queen.

3. It can last forever!

Honey has natural preservatives, so it will never go bad if you store it in an airtight container. Jars of honey were found in a 2,000 Egyptian tomb, where it was found to be still edible after it was finally discovered under the desert sands!

4. It’s a superfood for bees.

Two tablespoons of honey contains enough energy to fuel a honey bee flying around the world!

5. Every batch tastes different.

Honey gets its flavour from the flowers that the nectar comes from. A batch made from lavender nectar will taste very different to a batch made from sunflowers!

6. It’s unique amongst food.

Honey is the ONLY food product produced by insects that humans eat.

7. A unique antioxidant called pinocembrin is only found in honey!

In studies, it has been suggested that this antioxidant can help to improve cognitive function.

8. Honey is the only food that includes all the substances necessary to sustain life.

These include enzymes, vitamins, minerals and water.

9. Humans have evolved to remember where honey is in the supermarket.

During a study in 2007, a group of men and women were taken on a walk around a market to rate the food stalls. They walked to the centre of the market and were asked to point in the direction of each of the different food stalls. They were most accurate when pointing to high calorie foods such as honey and olive oil. Scientists believe this is due to our species’ history as hunter-gatherers, where getting high calorie foods was the goal!

10. It takes a huge amount of bee-power to produce.

The average worker bee will only produce around 1/12th of a teaspoon of honey in its lifetime.

Honey Jars

Whilst you’re here, why not take a look at our selection of fabulous glass jars? They come in all shapes and sizes, with a choice of adding a lid or not and in a variety of tiered-priced quantity options, making them great value for big business and small home-producers alike.

honey jars

The 30ml Mini Jar is a cute little pot that is ideal for serving individual portions of honey at breakfast buffets or as part of a gift set! It costs as little as 10p per jar when you buy in large quantities. Our bigger 330ml Ampha Jar is a curvy and attractive, with a wide choice of lid colours available, including: black, gold, silver, white, red, fruity, chutney, red gingham and blue gingham. They can be yours for as little as 20p per item. The 1lb Jar is a traditional preserve jar that comes with a classy gold screw cap which perfectly compliments the golden sheen of honey. This jar will set you back 19p per unit when bought in bulk. Finally, we have our 190ml Hexagonal Jar, which is our most unique looking glass jar, due to its six-faceted sides. It’s a great size for storing smaller batches of preserves, that would look fantastic on the stall of at rustic farmers markets! They will set you back a measly 19p per unit when bought in bulk.

Who knew honey could be so versatile? Browse our full range of glass preserve jars by clicking here.